3/11/08

She sews!

This is a very proud moment in my life...my first ever quilt! I learned how to sew back in December when Tagan ever so kindly took the time to show me how a sewing machine works and how to sew a simple pattern. Now I have the entire basement as a sewing room (yes I own a sewing machine, and several other sewing "necessities" now)!! Sam moved up into the living room and I moved my sewing machine and music downstairs. The other day I sat down and sewed a fun little baby quilt for my nephew, Otto, who was born last Saturday. My mom and I are headed to California on Sunday to deliver it!
I'm really excited about sewing. Had you known me when I was 15 years old you'd be surprised that I actually enjoy plugging in my Zune (that's the Microsoft version of the Ipod for those of you who didn't know...like myself until my husband got me one for Christmas) and sewing for a few hours! I've also sewed new sheers for our master bathroom. I will say that both the quilt and the sheers are less then perfect. I fact it's really best if they are viewed from a distance!!
I'm encouraging all you others out there who've ever wanted to learn how to sew to just do it!! It's something that our ancestors had to do and it's something that our generation really should do. TRADITIONS! (I like that movie...can anyone name the movie? :-)

6 comments:

Kimball Family said...

I love, Love, LOVE the quilt. It is so cute! I have tried sewing, and I am just not very good. I wish that I could pick it up as easily as you did. I think it's great that you did that; I'm sure that your nephew will love it.

If I am thinking of the same movie as you, it's "Fiddler on the Roof." I've actually never seen it, but I definitely know that song.

Nicolaysen's Neighborbood said...

That's too cute! Way to go you sewing queen!

Tagan said...

Your quilt is adorable... and it may have given me the motivation I needed to start a few of my own! I've got 3 nieces and or nephews due by October!

Leslie said...

Cute quilt!! I am a long time (9years) quilter and love it, so welcome to the world of corner matching and seam allowances! Also, nobody ever notices the imperfections but yourself - - you did a great job!

Mythreesons said...

I am very impressed. My mom has tried to teach me now for 20+ years and even gave me a sewing maching for Christmas. When Jared asked me to hem some pants, I didn't even know how to turn it on. He figured out how to hem themselves. Oh well. At least he can use the sewing maching... Very cute quilt!

Yvonne said...

Super cute quilt! I'm very impressed! Malo got me a sewing machine for Christmas and if I can get my lazy butt in gear, I may make something here soon, too! :) I'm seriously VERY impressed, Buffy! :)