5/29/09

What do you want to be when you grow up?





Ethan had "what do you want to be when you grow up" day at school last week. He had decided he wanted to be a dentist ever since our last visit to the dentist. The dentist lobby has a fire place and he thought that was pretty cool. He had to fill out a questionaire about why he wanted to be a dentist and how he was going to make a difference in the world. Here are his responses; "Well, I want to be able to fix people's teeth but really I'm all about the money!" I said; "the money?" "Of course, I want to be able to provide for my family and buy daddy a Porshe!" In our house it's is highly "publicized" that daddy provides for the family by going to work everyday and that someday one of his boys had better buy him a Porshe!

In the course of all these conversations about what you want to be when you grow up we asked Ryan. His response; "I don't know maybe a paratrooper". I will say that Sam and I have the very same opinions about our children serving in the Military...only as a last resort. Not that it's not a noble career but there are some significant sacrifices that come when serving our Country...and there are A LOT of stupid people. Sam recently had a jump exercise down in Canon City and it was during the day, when the boys were out of school, and nice weather...so I packed up the kids and we headed down to watch him. When we lived in Ft. Bragg then I use to take Ethan, who was very small, to go watch Sam jump out of the planes all the time but since we've left the 82nd Airborne Division we haven't been to see him as a family. Ryan has never watched. This was Ryan's response after watching daddy fall from the sky. "Do you still want to be a paratrooper?" "I don't think so".




No comments: