10/16/08

An Apron To Remember...

I really never thought that in my lifetime I would enjoy spending a couple of afternoons gathered around a sewing machine...ever! My grandmother is probably laughing in her grave at the thought that her granddaughter (who she tried on numerous occasions to teach sewing) is sewing and most importantly enjoying it!

Recently several friends met for a "sewing party". Typically there were anywhere from 4-7 of us at one time. Our project was to learn how to make aprons. I have been wanting an apron for a really long time. Another thing that would have my grandmother laughing (she also tried to teach me to bake with no avail). We just put our sewing machines around one table and had another table set up to cut out patterns and we taught ourselves how to sew the apron. It was invigorating! I know what a crazy word to use for sewing but I loved being surrounded by women and creating something that before the day started I had no idea how to do. I learned to gather a seam, to sew a dart, to stitch in the ditch, and to cut on the bias!! These are all things that would have been Greek to me before our "sewing party". It was fun! It took several afternoons for all of us to finish and every time I heard we were getting together then I'd make sure I was there. I loved being there, listening to music, feeling like I was in a sweat shop when all the machines were going, learning a new skill, and talking with friends. Honestly, I can't wait for the next project!

Now I have an apron and it's reversible! I've used in several times already. It's nice to have an apron when I'm cooking because I usually always have a towel handy, now I just use my apron. Ethan came downstairs while I was cooking with my new apron and said "wow, mom that's pretty, let's take your picture". So here it is....

7 comments:

Dave, Arielle, Grayson and Ashlynn said...

That is a VERY CUTE apron- I am jealous- I want one:)

Tagan said...

Love it! It was fun huh? I've still got 2 to make before Christmas along with purses galore! We need to keep the sweat shop open for business... only 2 1/2 months till d-day!

Deanna said...

I love the apron!! That material is so cute! I can't sew worth a darn either (no pun intended). And my mom and both my sisters are semstresses. Go figure...

Carrie and Spencer said...

VERY PRETTY!!!! I hear my mom helped you out with it. Looks wonderful!

Mark and Tara Christiansen said...

What a great BUNCO gift.Ü Wish I was there. Way cute!

Leslie said...

Way to be, June Cleaver! :) I love your fabrics!

shelly said...

Look at you all cute and prego and long haired-- I never thought I would see you so domesticated. :)